Our dedicated mentors support their students and guardians in the following ways:
Every St Stithians Online High School student and guardian has their own dedicated mentor who is committed to nurturing and developing each student holistically. We believe that when students are given the space and necessary tools to explore their potential and realise their goals, the sooner they can impact the world around them in a truly meaningful way. We strive to emulate this in our collaboration with students and parents.
- Provide one-on-one support via call and email
- For any question or support need, the mentor is the first line of support for students and parents.
- Lead weekly Homeroom sessions
- Each student is assigned to, and enrolled in, a Home Room, which is led by one of our Student Success Mentors. The Home Room is a space for students to constantly refer back to, almost like a basecamp, where they can engage with their fellow Home Room peers and their dedicated Student Success Mentor.
- Facilitate weekly Learning Compass sessions
- The Learning Compass Programme is the holistic framework that guides the way we help students develop as whole individuals. It is a space for students to express themselves and learn from their mentors and peers. This programme’s sole function is to support our students' academic journey as we navigate through social, emotional and academic topics. Ultimately, helping to develop key skills that will enable self-directed learning.
- Monitor students' progress
- Mentors and teachers continually monitor each student, their social-emotional well-being, their attendance, assignment submissions and whether they are making the expected progress.
"I feel incredibly supported, especially because of the amazing mentors that guide us throughout our entire journey, and the teachers who not only assist with office hours, they also understand how we feel with being on an online platform and recognise the possible difficulties that we face, and make the learning environment a safer one."
"The Learning Coach is the students' cheerleader, number one supporter and collaborative partner. The Learning Coach is there to help all students succeed academically and to develop to their highest potential in all areas of life."
Meet Your Student Success Team
Every St Stithians Online High School student and guardian has their own dedicated mentor who is committed to nurturing and developing each student holistically. We believe that when students are given the space and necessary tools to explore their potential and realise their goals, the sooner they can impact the world around them in a truly meaningful way. We strive to emulate this in our collaboration with students and parents. How our dedicated mentors support their students and guardians:
- Providing short-term counselling - including necessary referrals.
- Developing social-emotional programmes, in collaboration with Student Success teams, for Learning Compass and Homeroom sessions.
- Supporting students with various accommodations.
- Reviewing the need for additional interventions from experts in the field.
- Engaging with families, where required.
- Ensuring CAT4 parent feedback.
- Facilitating restorative processes.
- Providing staff support, including professional development training for mentors.
One of the incredible privileges offered by online education is the opportunity to learn from a wide variety of perspectives outside of a student’s normal learning. Virtual Clubs offer students a creative online space to share interests, hobbies and knowledge, above and beyond a school-work context. These clubs aim to promote engagement and offer the freedom to meet like-minded peers and explore shared interests together.
Clubs do not contribute to a student’s overall grade and are not compulsory - but they are a lot of fun! If a student does sign up for a club that piques their interest, they need to ensure that they attend the meetings as often as possible. Clubs meet online regularly throughout the year and are facilitated by faculty. However, clubs are predominantly student-led, and students are encouraged to actively suggest themes and areas of exploration.
Current Virtual Clubs on offer at St Stithians Online High School:
Eco Warrior Club
Yoga and Meditation Club
Service in Action Club
President’s Award Club
School Newspaper Club
A day in the life
Want to know what a typical day for a St Stithians Online High School student looks like? Check out a day in the life of our students and immerse yourself in on and off-campus learning and extracurricular activities.